“Teaching children about the natural world should be treated as one of the most important events in their lives.” – Thomas Berry
At Truro Learning Academy, we recognise the value in outdoor learning experiences and the impact that they have on ensuring the pupils are happy and healthy.
As part of our philosophy, we ensure that children have regular opportunities to learn beyond the four walls of the classroom and enrich their education through learning outdoors in the grounds of the school and in within the local community.
We have fantastic grounds, including a woodland area, and we strive to use this to its full potential. Outdoor learning brings upon many benefits to children. These include:
- Greater physical ability
- Improved concentration
- Improved sleeping patterns and health
- Improved social skills and initiative
- Higher levels of conversational language
- A better understanding of the world around them
- Risk is an intelligent behaviour – we must allow for risk taking (within limits) and learn from it.
- An increased sense of resilience and nurturing failure.